It doesn’t matter if it is a fashionable blue a pois bag or just a black bag where you through things there on your way to the daily walk. Being prepared to anything when out with the baby is essential. Would you want for your baby to scream and you not having the water with you? Or the tissues?
So, let’s dive in and see what is essential to have in our Baby Changing Bag. We asked our beloved mums, did surveys and here is the list of the 10 things that CANNOT miss in your changing bag. Take a paper and a pen (or your phone’s notes app) and do not miss one next time.
- First thing first, you guess what? Diapers, wipes and everything that has to do with changing your baby. One thing you don’t want to have is your baby smelling like… well.. you can imagine. We love clean and fresh babies!
- Your changing pad. You can never say where the urge will call you for a quick change, so is better to have everything you need with you instead of looking for it around and not finding a place to change your baby. Together with it put a blanket or a nursing cover to make sure you use everything clean and dry.
- A change of clothes. Or two. Depending on your experience. This includes also socks and other essentials.
- A bag for dirty diapers and one for the dirty clothes. You want to isolate them from the rest of your bag to not get dirty or smell bad in your bag.
- Hand sanitiser. As with the changing mat, you never know when you will need your sanitiser or you will not be able to find a place to wash your (or his/her) hands.
- The biberon. Be it with some milk inside or with plain water. It is important to have it handy and never forget it. Together with this do not forget some snacks (best if these are some fruits and nuts, but it depends on your baby’s preferences) that your baby will enjoy when feeling a bit of hunger.
- Seasonal items. This is def a DO NOT FORGET thing if you want to have a quite mind and enjoy the sun or the wind… or the rain. Be it a jacket, a hat or sunscreen cream, do not forget to adjust accordingly to the climate. Enjoy the weather no matter if it is cold or hot. Being outside in the fresh air helps our babies to get there daily doze of contact with nature and grow strong and healthy.
- First aid kit. Yes, and in this you should include a thermometer (the fancier the best, our Oblumi tapp is a great example) and some vaseline. You never know when you can have some small surprises on your walk or at the playground. Include here some ibuprofen, diaper cream, benadryl or any other medicine that you know can help you in case of emergency.
- Toys and/or books. Lots of them. You know that moment you want to have a relaxing chat with a friend of yours and he/she is screaming or asking what to do next. Well, you have their toys with you or even a book. A paper and some colours will do their work, too. Get creative here and learn from your baby. What she/he enjoys to do more? What makes him/her sit quit for a good portion of time?
- Do not forget your personal things you will need. This include your wallet, your phone (and an extra battery to charge it), keys, sunglasses. And, do yourself a favour, do not leave your house without your lip balm!
Of course, we do not want to tell you what to have or to not have in your diaper bag. We believe that each of us (mums) have their own innate knowledge and experience to help us. There will not be a day when you will not forget something ESSENTIAL on your way to the playing grown. We’re flexible and we learn from our own mistakes.
Being a mum should not be a struggling experience. Enjoy it as much as you can and give yourself permission to make mistakes. And even forget at home the DIAPER!